Tuesday, August 4, 2015

YoungLife in Guatemala!!


On Tuesday night we got together with the director of YoungLife from Guatemala City. He and his wife drove to meet us and we were able to have dinner together. It was a real treat for us as we went to a nice restaurant (big change for us- boys psyched!) and being able to chat with another couple felt much like home (despite language barrier). 

Turns out they are in a bit of a cross roads as starting YL in Guatemala has been difficult. Our timing was amazing as I believe we truly blessed each other. Below there is a list of prayer requests and they would appreciate being lifted up around the world as we told them we know our YL crew would be honored to do so. 


Brief background is that they led Nicuraga YL with about 80 staff and 300 volunteers. They were asked to start YL in Guatemala and have now been here 17 months, only to lose three staff members in the last few months due to conflicts with the mission. They have two kids, live in a new country and have no community to speak of. You can imagine the difficulty. Here is a translated version, thanks to a bi-lingual buddy, on their prayer requests... 


Thank you, thank you for (agreeing) to spend a separate and special time to pray for my family.  Oh how we really need prayers.

My wife and I have had difficult conversations and we ask ourselves several things.  Does she feel that God did or did not confirm this calling?  Another question was ‘Do you feel that our leadership has decreased or diminished?    With everything, it feels like we’re starting anew, like we just graduated and now it is time to start a first day (of the next) class.  We have been here 1 year and 5 months already and there are (days) where we cannot see the (light at the end of the tunnel).  Her health has not been very good as it relates to food, she has been robbed twice and the last time the (lady of the house likely means person who takes care of the house) stole her wedding rings, we had to fire her but could not recover the rings.  Sad.

I pray every moment I can and I ask myself what is the next step.  What should I do Jesus?  Sometimes I don’t know, I hope to find an open door, but for now I can’t even see the door (no hope).

We have made the decision (implied by coming here) to leave behind those who we love and who love us, in exchange for (pursuing) those who do not love us.  This is without a doubt, the same decision Jesus made.

Prayers:
1.       For my wife, that she may find peace amid many questions
2.       My children, I have been thinking and praying to find them a place to study English or music twice a week in the afternoons
3.       For me, that Jesus may show me the way and the next steps
4.       Sandra and Aury are the only 2 staff in this country and it is possible that they won’t be here in 2 months
5.       For my back pain, stress, lesion, I don’t know I’ve had 4 years with this pain
6.       I have received an invitation from a neighbor in the community to climb a volcano, I believe (hope) is in August, it is crazy but I have nothing planned for August
7.       To find friends in the community we live in
8.       For the ‘Recuerdo’ (Remember) club, the ‘Vida Jovenes” (Young Life) clube and the ‘Kaminal’ club
9.       For our possible trip to Nicaragua in October to visit family and friends
10.   That Jesus may give me passion for music as I have abandoned the guitar (quit playing)

In an additional email they asked us to pray for the following people:

1- Hector Sandoval
2- Estela Ambrosio 
3- Sandra Ambrosio.
4- Annette Aguilar. 

Have it dear friends! We know you will.


3 comments:

  1. From your neighbors in Prior Lake: At church yesterday, we asked people to pray for the success of the Young Life program in Guatemala. We love reading your blog and Caleb's blog also. What an adventure! Jane and LeRoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks LeRoy!! I forwarded on and they sure do appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a joy to connect with a YL crew!! Seriously! Lifting up each of these prayer requests and more for their work in Guatemala.

    ReplyDelete